Hollywood star Halle Berry talks about her diet, diabetes and workout.
Over the past two decades, the public has wondered about Halle Berry diet secrets, considering the actress has consistently reigned as one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. She started her career as first runner-up in the 1986 Miss USA Pageant, then transitioned to the film industry with her 1991 role in Jungle Fever.
Now in her mid-40s, the actress is as stunning as ever, as exhibited in her latest film, Dark Tide. The actress shows skin in the film, in which she attempts to tame sharks out on the open seas. While Halle Berry has a naturally small frame, she also calls upon discipline and hard work to keep her body in camera-ready shape.
How Halle Berry Lost Her Baby Weight
Amazingly, Halle lost 40 pounds in 4 months after the birth of her daughter Nahla Ariela. How did she do it?
The Oscar-winning actress hits the gym five days a week and workout for at least an hour per day. She trains with celebrity trainer Ramon Braganza who put her on the 3-2-1 Baby Bulge Be Gone workout routine which also helped Jessica Alba lose her baby weight.
In addition to working out, the actress who is also diabetic also eats a well-balanced diet that consists of lean proteins, complex carbs and lots of vegetables to help her lose weight and get back into shape.
Halle Berry Low Sugar Diabetic Diet
The actress, who is diabetic, has to always keep an eye on her health when formulating a plan to stay in shape. The Halle Berry diet involves a mixture of healthy foods and exercise, as well as a regimen of vitamins.
While the actress admits she works hard to keep her figure, she isn’t immune to the occasional splurge.
“[I do binge,] I like Doritos. I’m usually watching The Biggest Loser eating Doritos,” the actress told Harper’s Bazaar.
One secret to the Hollywood actress diet is homegrown fruits and vegetables. In fact, the actress has a vegetable patch in her own backyard. She also has an apple tree, a plum tree, and a pear tree. She relishes the day her daughter, Nahla, can pick fruit and eat it from her own yard.
Halle Berry diet turned around when she was diagnosed with diabetes in 1989. Currently, she chose a diet that was low in fat, sugar, and processed carbohydrates. The actress learned the benefits of a diet of vegetables, chicken, and fresh fish. Even though fresh fruit is healthy, Halle Berry diet includes low amounts of fruit because of its high sugar content.
“I started to eat loads of wonderful fresh vegetables, chicken, fresh fish and pasta. I cut out red meat and cut back on fruit because it can contain quite a lot of sugar.
“Now one of my favorite dishes is something simple but tasty, such as grilled tuna and garlic mashed potatoes,” the actress says.
Halle Berry’s cravings tend more toward salty than sweet, with her favorite indulgences including butter pecan ice cream and salt and vinegar chips. On the occasion that she does feel a craving for sugar, the actress uses artificial sweeteners or a small amount of honey or molasses.
Halle Berry Workout Routine
More recently, to maintain her toned physique and get into better physical shape, Halle Berry follows the 5-Factor Fitness Plan developed by Harley Pasternak. The fitness routine includes a combination of cardio and strength training to get results.
Harley Pasternak’s fitness plan incorporates twenty-five minutes of five different exercises. This helps keep followers of his plan motivated without making them feel overwhelmed by the thought of an hour of workout time each day. To workout like Halle Berry, follow these steps:
- Five minutes of cardio warm-up. This is any activity that slightly elevates your heart rate. You can take a slow walk on the treadmill or do stretching exercises. The goal of a warm-up exercise is to get warmth to the muscles and prevent injury. It also helps direct blood flow to your muscles from other internal organs. This will give the muscles you’re using to exercise more oxygen, which can improve your endurance.
- Five minutes of upper-body strength training. If you have access to weights, work out on barbells or the bench press. Push-ups and pull-ups can also be great ways to improve upper-body strength and give you beautifully toned arms like Halle Berry’s.
- Five minutes of lower-body strength training. Lunges are a great way to build lower-body strength. Leg-lifts can also tone your legs and can be done either lying down or while holding onto the back of a chair.
- Five minutes of core training. There are many ways to do crunches that can train every aspect of your core. Incorporate side twists to work out different sections of your abs and give other sections a rest. Halle Berry still proudly shows off her impressive abs, all thanks to her five minutes of core training a day.
- Five minutes of cardio. This should be intense cardio work, whether you choose brisk walking, running, or five minutes on the elliptical.
In addition to her daily workout, Halle Berry also finds time to work in activities she loves, like rollerblading and hiking. She takes the stairs whenever she can to help keep her lower body toned, and bumps up the resistance on the elliptical machine to challenge herself. Her workout also incorporates plenty of kickboxing, an extremely beneficial fitness activity that also helps build strength. By combining activities she enjoys with a healthy diet, Halle Berry is able to keep her diabetes in control and stay beautiful.