Get a body like Taylor Lautner. Find out about the Taylor Lautner workout routine and his diet plan that transformed him from skinny to his super rock-hard physique and signature six pack abs.
The Taylor Lautner workout packed on a total of 30 pounds on a scrawny, albeit athletic, teenager who never carried a weight all his life. Taylor Lautner skyrocketed to fame as quickly as his 140-pound body bulked up when he played Jacob Black, a dashing Native American werewolf who had the hots for Bella in “New Moon”, the second installment in the “Twilight” film series.
As a matter of fact, those who never saw the appeal of “Twilight” believe that much of the $570 million grossed by the film is attributed to Lautner parading half-naked and showing off his rock-hard physique to anyone who cared to look. The barely legal Lautner has actually made it to Glamour magazine’s “The 50 Sexiest Men of 2010” and People’s “Most Amazing Bodies“.
The Taylor Lautner Workout Philosophy
Lautner’s trainer Jordan Yuam took Lautner’s age and his apparent inexperience in weight training to his advantage.
“The less muscle you have, the easier it is to gain muscle mass more quickly,” says Yuam to Trevor Thieme of Men’s Health Magazine.
For the quickest possible results, Yuam had Lautner lifting weights that were heavier than his body could usually lift. For 120 pounds, Yuam aimed for 170 pounds, but limited the exercise to five reps for two to three sets.
It’s not about overworking the muscles, though. Lautner only spends five days a week working out. The rest of the time, every third day, he takes an off and gives his muscles time to recover.
The Taylor Lautner Workout Routine for Twilight
Exercise for Taylor Lautner focused largely on weight lifting and strength training. He is a typical hard gainer, characterized by a thin frame and light muscles. When he began shaping up for the role of Jacob Black, his original workout routine included a regular dose of cardio exercises. However, things weren’t going according to plan.
“I was exercising so hard that I began to lose weight,” he tells Men’s Health.
So Yuam modified the plan and began focusing intently on building muscle. The following are the three main points of the Taylor Lautner workout program.
- Varied weights. Muscles that are exposed to changing exercises everyday, whether it is the amount of weights or the number of reps you vary, are not prone to adjusting and settling down. They are forced to adapt to new routines and grow more quickly than when exposed to the same routine over and over again.
- Tension weights. Attach bands to your weights and secure the bands to a steady base on the floor, such as a heavy dumbbell or a power rack. Yuam says, “The bands create more tension, making the lift harder and forcing your muscles to peak out at the top of the movement.”
- Side-to-side exercises. Yuam included a number of side-to-side exercises such as lateral hops and lunges to Lautner’s workout routine. The result? A body that was versatile enough to allow the actor to do all his stunts in New Moon.
The Taylor Lautner Ab Workout Program
If you want to sport six pack abs similar to one of the “Top 5 Hollywood Abs,” don’t overwork your ab muscles. Lautner himself spent only three non-consecutive days every week targeting his abs. The Taylor Lautner workout for the abs is actually a blend of exercises that engage the entire core instead of focus entirely on the abs.
Five Key Moves to Taylor’s Ripped Abs:
- Leg raises — 12 reps, 2 sets each
- Diagonal isometrics — 3 reps per side, 8 seconds each
- Breathing exercise 1 — Inhale for 5 seconds and slowly exhale, 3 reps
- Breathing exercise 2 — While taking quick breaths, tighten, inhale, and exhale, 12 reps
- Ball crunches — 17 reps
The Taylor Lautner Diet Plan
Since the goal was to pack on 30 pounds, Yuam had Lautner eating, eating, and eating some more.
In an interview with MSN.com, the young actor says, “Seriously, I’d wake up and my trainer would say, ‘You need to have six egg whites, and bacon and toast and…’ It became a lot, so that was the hardest part. Especially putting something in my mouth every two hours.”
This was patterned after the Michael Phelps diet plan, which can be summarized in two words: Eat everything.
“At one point, my trainer said, ‘Put everything in your mouth. Go to McDonald’s, get the biggest shake possible. I just need to get calories in you’,” he tells Sunny Pepper of Examiner.com.
The Taylor Lautner diet plan definitely sounds like a lot of fun, but don’t forget to accompany all that eating with the Taylor Lautner workout.